Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Geotechnical)
Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Geotechnical) (0916)
Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Geotechnical)
We're looking for bright and motivated school leavers who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
The Laing O'Rourke Professional Apprenticeship Programme - what can you expect?
Our professional apprenticeship programme has been developed to ensure you are supported throughout every step of your journey, combining work-based experience with off-the-job training. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your professional development and formal qualification as a priority.
Our programme will provide a fully funded day or block release Level 4 (HNC) and/or Level 6 (degree) apprenticeship in your chosen vocation, while working as a full time Laing O'Rourke employee. It will also include a series of bespoke development modules, and technical training opportunities, strategically placed to support you at key stages of your apprenticeship journey. During the programme you will work across a range of projects, which will offer the breadth and variety to support your occupational competency and will contribute towards the achievement of your apprenticeship and professional accreditation.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- You must be eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit
- Entry grades will be listed within each job description and they will differ from role to role
- To qualify for this programme, you will need to have a minimum of three A-Levels/or equivalent
Expanded Geotechnical is a member of the Laing O'Rourke construction group. We are a leading specialist ground engineering contractor. Our involvement in delivery of the most prestigious and complex projects demands that we design and install a broad range of best value foundation solutions for our clients. Key to achieving our strategy for continued profitable growth is investing in our geotechnical team. We have opportunities for ambitious geotechnical engineers keen to join an energetic, stimulating and rewarding environment.
They will work within the geotechnical engineering team under the guidance of design and project Engineers, alongside site supervisors and managers.
We are looking for high calibre candidates with ambition, enthusiasm and drive to make an impact. You must have strong technical acumen coupled with a positive interest in engineering & geology. You will also have a professional approach and a keen eye for detail; excellent communication and IT skills are also vital for the role.
Our apprentices are given the opportunity to gain a broad experience within our business. The role will involve a period in one of our design/work winning teams, which are located at our main regional offices. Plus, a period in project management with our operation team, which will be project based.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities of a Geotechnical Technician Engineer
- To be an active & contributory member during their periods in the design/work winning & operation teams.
- To understand and deliver the client's requirements and liaise with designers/client/ main contractors to optimize the best engineering solution.
- Ensure the appropriate selection of piling technique is chosen to suit the project ground conditions.
- To undertake geotechnical analysis/design using in-house and commercially available software in accordance with the relevant codes of practice and prepare detailed geotechnical design reports for submittal to clients and respond to technical queries raised during the approval process.
- To cost, budget, tender, negotiate and secure orders for a variety of such systems, whilst maximising the business profits.
- Preparation of settlement packs for review by the business at settlement meetings.
- Preparation of contract design documents, drawings and schedules.
- To design with awareness of risk including, H&S, geotechnical and commercial aspects.
- To liaise and provide design support to the operation team during the installation phase to ensure correct design is fully implemented.
- To produce as built documentation post construction.
- Develop long lasting relationships with clients to encourage repeat business.
- Co-ordinating and responding to client's requests by gaining experience from colleagues.
- Collaborative working with other LOR business units to achieve shared end goals.
- To continue your professional development.
Dartford Head Office - to start
Apprenticeship Level and Standard
Civil Engineering Site Management apprenticeship. Successful candidates will start at Level 4 and moves on to the Level 6 degree qualification.
University of Exeter (4x2 week block release, per year)
Applicants must have either:
- 3 A Level's with predicted/achieved grades of ABB as a minimum. A Levels must include Maths and a Science Subject (preferably Physics)
- BTEC Extended Diploma in a construction related subject (Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction and Built Environment etc) with predicted/achieved grades of DDM as a minimum. Modules studied must include ‘Further Engineering Mathematics' and preferably ‘Calculus to solve Engineering problems'
- IB Math's HL5 and another science subject HL5
There are 5 stages to our Professional Apprenticeship Programme recruitment process:
Complete the online application form and upload a copy of your CV and covering letter.
Your application will be reviewed against the requirements for the role you have applied for.
You will be invited to complete a series of psychometric tests tailored to the role you have applied for.
Upon successful completion of online tests, you will be invited to a video interview.
Successful candidates will be invited to attend an assessment.
The safety of our people, and of our candidates is our priority and in the current climate, we may alter the format of our assessment centre; either replacing it with a virtual event or where it is safe to do so, and in line with government and health authority guidance, host a socially distanced, covid-secure day.
Providing you are successful at the assessment centre, you will receive a written, formal offer of employment. This will be a provisional offer that is subject to your degree classification and successful background security and reference checks.
**The Professional Apprenticeship Programme will commence in September 2021**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.