Graduate Procurement Assistant
Graduate Procurement Assistant (0846)
Job Title: Graduate Procurement Assistant
We're looking for bright and committed graduates who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
The Laing O'Rourke Graduate Development Programme - what can you expect?
Our graduate programme is designed to embrace and develop your capabilities. Most importantly, you will be encouraged to continue learning throughout your career. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your personal development and the achievement of professional accreditation as a priority.
Our programme will give you the practical experience, technical learning and professional development while being part of the some of the most exciting construction and infrastructure projects in the UK.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
- Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills
- A degree course with a clear route to professional accreditation
- Your degree classification should be 2:1 or higher
- Entry degrees will be listed within each of our graduate vacancies and differ from role to role
A Graduate Procurement Assistant will progress through to the role Assistant Procurement Manager over the period of the programme. They will work within the Procurement team under the guidance of their Procurement Line Manager and Professional Mentor, alongside other members of the Procurement team.
They will work either within our central Procurement team or with our on-site Procurement teams supporting the delivery of major construction projects and the Business as a whole.
The Procurement Assistant is part of the Procurement Job Family, which is there to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across all projects and opportunities from pre-project, early engagement and work winning through to detailed delivery.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities
- To develop an understanding procurement and commercial principles of the function
- To assist the Procurement Line Manager in the implementation of individual Project Procurement strategy.
- To assist Work Winning activity, as required.
- Whilst under supervision, assist with the Procurement process of subcontractors, materials, plant and services, in accordance with the Business Procurement Strategy and the individual Project(s) Procurement strategy, including but not limited to;
- Sourcing and formally agreeing an appropriate supply chain;
- Compiling robust tender enquiries;
- Managing the formal tender process;
- Conducting a full commercial and technical review of all tender returns through engagement with other specialist functions (i.e. HSE, technical compliance, quality, commercial, construction, planning, contractual services/ legal, logistics, industrial relations etc), as appropriate;
- Managing the tender negotiation process;
- Providing robust and complete recommendations for formal award approval(s);
- Drafting, issue and execution of contracts, in accordance with LOR guidelines and Corporate governance;
- Supply chain performance management and reporting.
- Develop an understanding and promote the use of in-house opportunities through Design for Manufacture (DfMA) and self-delivery.
- To apply an ethical and consistent approach to the procurement of goods and services to ensuring compliance with the LOR corporate governance and Procurement best practice throughout the Procurement process and the supply chain.
- To become informed of and keep abreast of changes in legislation, best practice guidelines etc that affect the supply chain and markets.
- Whilst under supervision, develop and maintain professional working relationships with suppliers, sub-contractors and service providers, who are committed and aligned to LOR's Values and will provide best value to LOR and support LOR as a Contractor of first choice.
- To assist the Procurement Line Manager in the provision of a safe, robust and appropriate supply chain to deliver LOR's Business needs.
- To deliver internal Customer satisfaction throughout the Procurement process and lifecycle of the Project.
- Begins studying towards the Procurement professional qualification.
- To gather management information and collate reports in accordance with line management requirements.
- Practical application of Procurement; tools, techniques, data sources, analysis (i.e. price comparisons and sub-contractor quotations) and reporting in accordance with core procurement processes.
- To consolidate product knowledge including development and innovation of materials, products and systems that may increase competitive advantage and cost-effective solutions.
- To consolidate knowledge and understanding of supply chains and their interaction with LOR.
- Begin to develop negotiation skills
- Keep your manager fully advised of any issue/risk which has arisen or might arise, and which could affect the business/project
North East and South East
business or economics, logistics, supply chain management or purchasing other degrees will be considered for this role
There are 5 stages to our Graduate Development Programme recruitment process:
Complete the online application form and upload a copy of your CV and covering letter.
Your application will be reviewed against the requirements for the role you have applied for.
You will be invited to complete a series of psychometric tests tailored to the role you have applied for.
Upon successful completion of online tests, you will be invited to a video interview.
Successful candidates will be invited to attend an assessment.
The safety of our people, and of our candidates is our priority and in the current climate, we may alter the format of our assessment centre; either replacing it with a virtual event or where it is safe to do so, and in line with government and health authority guidance, host a socially distanced, covid-secure day.
Providing you are successful at the assessment centre, you will receive a written, formal offer of employment. This will be a provisional offer that is subject to your degree classification and successful background security and reference checks.
**The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2021**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.