2024 Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Geotechnical)
- Title:2024 Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Geotechnical)
- Region:United Kingdom
- Employment type:Permanent
- Job family:Programme
2024 Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Geotechnical) (4288)
Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Geotechnical)
We're looking for bright and motivated school leavers who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
Expanded Geotechnical is a member of the Laing O'Rourke construction group. We are a leading specialist Piling contractor involved in the UK ground engineering industry. Our involvement in delivery of the most prestigious and complex projects demands that we design and install a broad range of best value foundation solutions for our clients. Key to achieving our strategy for continued profitable growth is investing in our geotechnical team. We have opportunities for ambitious geotechnical engineer's keen to join an energetic, stimulating and rewarding environment.
They will work within the geotechnical engineering team under the guidance of design and project Engineers, alongside site supervisors and managers.
We are looking for high calibre candidates with ambition, enthusiasm and drive to make an impact. You must have strong technical acumen coupled with a positive interest in engineering & geology. You will also have a professional approach and a keen eye for detail; excellent communication and IT skills are also vital for the role.
Our apprentices are given the opportunity to gain a broad experience within our business. The role will involve a period in one of our design/work winning teams, which are located at our main regional offices. Plus, a period in project management with our operation team, which will be project based.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities of a Geotechnical Technician Engineer
- To be an active & contributory member during their periods in the design/work winning & operation teams.
- To understand and deliver the client's requirements and liaise with designers/client/ main contractors to optimize the best engineering solution.
- Ensure the appropriate selection of piling technique is chosen to suit the project ground conditions.
- To undertake geotechnical analysis/design using in-house and commercially available software in accordance with the relevant codes of practice and prepare detailed geotechnical design reports for submittal to clients and respond to technical queries raised during the approval process.
- To cost, budget, tender, negotiate and secure orders for a variety of such systems, whilst maximising the business profits.
- Preparation of settlement packs for review by the business at settlement meetings.
- Preparation of contract design documents, drawings and schedules.
- To design with awareness of risk including, H&S, geotechnical and commercial aspects.
- To liaise and provide design support to the operation team during the installation phase to ensure correct design is fully implemented.
- To produce as built documentation post construction.
- Develop long lasting relationships with clients to encourage repeat business.
- Co-ordinating and responding to client's requests by gaining experience from colleagues.
- Collaborative working with other LOR business units to achieve shared end goals.
- To continue your professional development.
Dartford Head Office - to start
Apprenticeship Level and Standard
Civil Engineering Site Management apprenticeship. Successful candidates will start at Level 4 and moves on to the Level 6-degree qualification.
Laing O'Rourke collaborate with trusted and approved training providers (Universities) for our apprenticeship delivery. Allocation of training provider will be based on achieved academic grades.
Our training providers include University of Exeter (4x2 week block release, per year) https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/degreeapprenticeships/programmes/civilengineering/#main-col
The entry grades for the Technician Engineer are as follows:
- 3 A Level's working towards or achieved grades of ABB. A Levels must include Maths and a Science Subject (preferably Physics)
- BTEC Extended Diploma in a construction related subject (Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction and Built Environment etc) working towards or achieved grades of DDM. Modules studied must include ‘Further Engineering Mathematics' and preferably ‘Calculus to solve Engineering problems'
- IB Math's HL5 and another science subject HL5
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- You must be eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit
- Entry grades will be listed within each job description, and they will differ from role to role
- To qualify for this programme, you will need to have a minimum of three A-Levels/or equivalent
The Laing O'Rourke Professional Apprenticeship Programme - what can you expect?
Our professional apprenticeship programme has been developed to ensure you are supported throughout every step of your journey, combining work-based experience with off-the-job training. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your professional development and formal qualification as a priority.
Our programme will provide a fully funded day or block release Level 4 (HNC) and/or Level 6 (degree) apprenticeship in your chosen vocation, while working as a full time Laing O'Rourke employee. It will also include a series of bespoke development modules, and technical training opportunities, strategically placed to support you at key stages of your apprenticeship journey. During the programme you will work across a range of projects, which will offer the breadth and variety to support your occupational competency and will contribute towards the achievement of your apprenticeship and professional accreditation.
**The Professional Apprenticeship Programme will commence in September 2024**
Diversity and Inclusion
We value and care about difference at Laing O’Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
As part of the Disability Confident scheme, we would like to enable access to candidates with long term health conditions and disabilities through the ‘Offer an interview scheme’. This supports applicants that meet the essential criteria by offering an interview for the advertised position. Please let us know prior to interview what adjustments are required as well as discussing how we can support you in the workplace.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit:Diversity