2024 Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Civil Engineering)
- Title:2024 Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Civil Engineering)
- Region:United Kingdom
- Employment type:Permanent
- Job family:Programme
2024 Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Civil Engineering) (4298)
Professional Apprenticeship - Technician Engineer (Civil Engineering)
We're looking for bright and motivated school leavers who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
A Professional Apprenticeship Technician Engineer will progress through the role of Engineering Technician into Site Engineer over the period of the programme.
They will work within the site engineering team under the guidance of Site and Section Engineers, alongside site supervisors and managers.
They safely and effectively manage a set of tasks and are technically responsible for their outcome. They will report directly to the Site/Section Engineer.
They will work predominantly on site assisting in the technical management and delivery of major construction projects.
The Technician Engineer and Site Engineer are part of the Engineering Job Family and Technical Function, which is there to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across all projects and opportunities from pre-project, early engagement and work winning through to detailed delivery. All of our engineers are part of our Engineering Enterprise and are aligned with our overall strategy to maximise DfMA, Digital Engineering, and Early Engagement.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities of a Technician Engineer
Follows safe working practices including wearing personal protective equipment and demonstrating a duty of care to yourself and others
- Understands the necessity to comply with approved methods of working
- Provides dimensional control for a section of the works
- Undertakes as built surveys for a section of the works and presents results in format that can be included in project records if required
- Raises Non-Conformance Report (NCR) for all non-conformances and reports potential non-conformances to line manager
- Maintains quality control records in accordance with the Inspection & Test Plan
- Assists site engineers with filing of drawings and other construction information. Completes relevant site records as required by senior members of staff (e.g., diary sheets)
- Assists site engineers with materials quantification and testing
- Reads and understands method statements and makes sure that site operations follow these methods accurately reporting any variances to supervisors and supervising
- Has an understanding of the procedures that govern Temporary Works & Lifting
- Effectively communicates basic technical information in a timely & accurate manner
- Interrogates design information and determine if there are sufficient details to construct the works. Raises concerns with supervising engineers
- Has a basic knowledge of how to operate the 3D model and its use in relation to the project
We have roles available in the North West, Oxford, South East, London and the South West
Apprenticeship Level and Standard
Civil Engineering Site Management apprenticeships. Successful candidates will start at Level 4 and moves on to the Level 6-degree qualification.
Laing O'Rourke collaborate with trusted and approved training providers (Universities) for our apprenticeship delivery. Allocation of training provider will be based on achieved academic grades.
Our training providers include University of Exeter (4x2 week block release, per year)
To be considered applicants must be on track to achieve either:
- 3 A Level's working towards or achieved grades of ABB. A Levels must include Maths and a Science Subject (preferably Physics)
- BTEC Extended Diploma in a construction related subject (Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction and Built Environment etc) working towards or achieved grades of DMM. Modules studied must include ‘Further Engineering Mathematics' and preferably ‘Calculus to solve Engineering problems'
- IB Math's HL5 and another science subject HL5
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- You must be eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit
- Entry grades will be listed within each job description, and they will differ from role to role
- To qualify for this programme, you will need to have a minimum of three A-Levels/or equivalent
The Laing O'Rourke Professional Apprenticeship Programme - what can you expect?
Our professional apprenticeship programme has been developed to ensure you are supported throughout every step of your journey, combining work-based experience with off-the-job training. You will be stretched, challenged, and supported by a business that views your professional development and formal qualification as a priority.
Our programme will provide a fully funded day or block release Level 4 (HNC) and/or Level 6 (degree) apprenticeship in your chosen vocation, while working as a full time Laing O'Rourke employee. It will also include a series of bespoke development modules, and technical training opportunities, strategically placed to support you at key stages of your apprenticeship journey. During the programme you will work across a range of projects, which will offer the breadth and variety to support your occupational competency and will contribute towards the achievement of your apprenticeship and professional accreditation.
**The Professional Apprenticeship Programme will commence in September 2024**
Diversity and Inclusion
We value and care about difference at Laing O’Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
As part of the Disability Confident scheme, we would like to enable access to candidates with long term health conditions and disabilities through the ‘Offer an interview scheme’. This supports applicants that meet the essential criteria by offering an interview for the advertised position. Please let us know prior to interview what adjustments are required as well as discussing how we can support you in the workplace.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit:Diversity