2023 Professional Apprenticeship – Procurement
- Title:2023 Professional Apprenticeship – Procurement
- Employment type:Permanent
- Job family:Procurement
2023 Professional Apprenticeship – Procurement (3392)
Professional Apprenticeship – Procurement
We're looking for bright and motivated school leavers who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
A Procurement Apprentice will progress through the role of Procurement Assistant into Assistant Procurement Manager over the period of the programme. They will work within the Procurement & category teams under the guidance of their Line Manager and Professional Mentor, alongside other members of the Procurement team.
They will work within either the central Procurement team, project procurement team or category management teams supporting the delivery of major construction projects and the Business as a whole.
The Procurement Apprentice and Procurement Assistants are part of the Procurement Job Family, which is there to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across all projects and opportunities from pre-project, early engagement and work winning through to detailed delivery.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities
- To develop an understanding of basic Procurement and commercial principles of the function
- To assist the Line Manager in the implementation of Procurement strategies.
- To assist Work Winning activity, as required.
- Whilst under supervision, assist with the Procurement process of subcontractors, materials, plant and services, in accordance with the Business Procurement Strategy
- Sourcing and formally agreeing an appropriate supply chain.
- Compiling robust tender enquiries.
- Managing the formal tender process including managing internal stakeholder engagement.
- Conducting a full commercial and technical review of all tender returns through engagement with other specialist functions (i.e. HSE, sustainability, technical compliance, quality, commercial, construction, planning, contractual services/ legal, logistics, industrial relations etc), as appropriate;
- Assisting the tender negotiation process.
- Providing robust and complete recommendations for formal award approval(s).
- Drafting, issue and execution of contracts, in accordance with LOR guidelines and corporate governance.
- Supply chain performance management and reporting.
- Develop an understanding of in-house opportunities through Design for Manufacture (DfMA) and self-delivery.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of an ethical and consistent approach to the procurement of goods and services to ensuring compliance with the LOR corporate governance and Procurement best practice throughout the Procurement process and the supply chain.
- To become informed of changes in legislation, best practice guidelines and develop skillsets that involve the supply chain and markets.
- Whilst under supervision, develop and maintain professional working relationships with suppliers, sub-contractors, and service providers, who are committed and aligned to LOR's values and will provide best value to LOR and support LOR as a Contractor of first choice.
- To assist the Line Manager in the provision of a safe, robust and appropriate supply chain to deliver LOR's Business needs.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of sustainability in the procurement of goods and services. Championing LOR's sustainability agenda and encouraging innovative ideas and actions.
- To deliver internal Customer satisfaction throughout the Procurement process and lifecycle of the Project.
- Develop an understanding and in turn ensure compliance with professional standards.
- To assist in the gathering and collation of category management information for reports in accordance with business requirements.
- Practical application of digital Procurement tools. Has a clear understanding of the importance of data sources and reporting to assist with core procurement processes.
- To gain product and category knowledge including development and innovation of materials, products and systems that may increase competitive advantage and cost-effective solutions.
- To gain knowledge and understanding of supply chains and their interaction with LOR.
- Keep your manager fully advised of any market intelligence which has arisen or might arise, and which could affect the business/project
Dartford and Manchester Office
Apprenticeship Level and Standard
Commercial procurement and supply Level 4
Laing O'Rourke collaborate with trusted and approved training providers for our apprenticeship delivery. Successful candidates will be required to make an application to our preferred provider for the apprenticeship route you have chosen.
5 GCSEs - preferably grades 7-4 in Maths, English and Science
3 A-levels or BTEC or Equivalent
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- You must be eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit
- Entry grades will be listed within each job description, and they will differ from role to role
- To qualify for this programme, you will need to have a minimum of three A-Levels/or equivalent
The Laing O'Rourke Professional Apprenticeship Programme - what can you expect?
Our professional apprenticeship programme has been developed to ensure you are supported throughout every step of your journey, combining work-based experience with off-the-job training. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your professional development and formal qualification as a priority.
Our programme will provide a fully funded day or block release Level 4 (HNC) and/or Level 6 (degree) apprenticeship in your chosen vocation, while working as a full time Laing O'Rourke employee. It will also include a series of bespoke development modules, and technical training opportunities, strategically placed to support you at key stages of your apprenticeship journey. During the programme you will work across a range of projects, which will offer the breadth and variety to support your occupational competency and will contribute towards the achievement of your apprenticeship and professional accreditation.
**The Professional Apprenticeship Programme will commence in September 2023**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Diversity and Inclusion
We value and care about difference at Laing O’Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
As part of the Disability Confident scheme, we would like to enable access to candidates with long term health conditions and disabilities through the ‘Offer an interview scheme’. This supports applicants that meet the essential criteria by offering an interview for the advertised position. Please let us know prior to interview what adjustments are required as well as discussing how we can support you in the workplace.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit:Diversity