2023 Professional Apprenticeship – Construction Management
- Title:2023 Professional Apprenticeship – Construction Management
- Employment type:Permanent
- Job family:Programme
2023 Professional Apprenticeship – Construction Management (3431)
Professional Apprenticeship – Construction Management
We're looking for bright and motivated school leavers who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
A Professional Apprenticeship Construction Trainee will progress through the role of Construction Trainee into Package/Section Manager over the period of the programme.
They will work within the Construction Management team under the guidance of Construction and Project Managers, alongside site supervisors and engineers, interfacing with a broad spectrum of personnel & functions across the project.
They safely and effectively manage a set of tasks and are operationally responsible for their outcome. They will report directly to the Construction Manager.
They will work predominantly on site assisting in the construction management and delivery of major construction projects.
The Section Manager and Construction Manager are part of the Delivery Job Family and Operational Function, which is there to ensure delivery excellence, assurance and performance across all projects and opportunities from pre-project, early engagement and work winning through to detailed delivery. All of our managers are part of our Engineering Enterprise and are aligned with our overall strategy to maximise Modern Methods of Construction, Digital Engineering and Early Engagement.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities of a Construction Trainee
- The foundation of competency for future construction and project managers, leaders and directors.
- To learn and develop skills to enable management of a works section or package, from inception to completion.
- To learn interprofessional skills, across functions, with designated time in key departments
- Developing core construction, engineering and planning skills, then supporting with skills aligned to works package process.
- The principle being that, if you can manage a basic package, then you have learnt the fundamentals of Construction / Project Management to take forward. The process is the experience and opportunity then become the vehicle for development.
- Follows safe working practices, demonstrating a duty of care to yourself and others, controlling healthy, productive & enjoyable delivery of work.
- Understands the necessity to recognise risk and comply with approved methods of working
- Understand key Quality Assurance principles and utilise inspection procedures and Field view
- Has an understanding of the procedures that govern Temporary Works & Lifting
- Interrogates design information and determine if there are sufficient details to construct the works. Raises concerns with supervising managers & engineers
- Has a basic knowledge of how to operate the 3D model and its use in relation to the project
We have roles available in the Southwest England, Southern England, London and Midlands
Apprenticeship Level and Standard
Construction site supervisor level 4 (3 years) then on to Construction site management degree (3 years). Successful candidates will start at Level 4 and move on to the Level 6-degree qualification.
Laing O'Rourke collaborate with trusted and approved training providers for our apprenticeship delivery. Successful candidates will be required to make an application to our preferred provider for the apprenticeship route you have chosen.
Applicants must have either:
- 3 A Levels must include Maths and a Science Subject
- BTEC Extended Diploma in a construction related subject (Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction and Built Environment etc)
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- You must be eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit
- Entry grades will be listed within each job description, and they will differ from role to role
- To qualify for this programme, you will need to have a minimum of three A-Levels/or equivalent
The Laing O'Rourke Professional Apprenticeship Programme - what can you expect?
Our professional apprenticeship programme has been developed to ensure you are supported throughout every step of your journey, combining work-based experience with off-the-job training. You will be stretched, challenged, and supported by a business that views your professional development and formal qualification as a priority.
Our programme will provide a fully funded day or block release Level 4 (HNC) and Level 6 (degree) apprenticeship in your chosen vocation, while working as a full time Laing O'Rourke employee. It will also include a series of bespoke development modules, and technical training opportunities, strategically placed to support you at key stages of your apprenticeship journey. During the programme you will work across a range of projects, which will offer the breadth and variety to support your occupational competency and will contribute towards the achievement of your apprenticeship and professional accreditation.
**The Professional Apprenticeship Programme will commence in September 2023**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Diversity and Inclusion
We value and care about difference at Laing O’Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
As part of the Disability Confident scheme, we would like to enable access to candidates with long term health conditions and disabilities through the ‘Offer an interview scheme’. This supports applicants that meet the essential criteria by offering an interview for the advertised position. Please let us know prior to interview what adjustments are required as well as discussing how we can support you in the workplace.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit:Diversity