2023 Professional Apprenticeship - Temporary Works Design Engineer Trainee
- Title:2023 Professional Apprenticeship - Temporary Works Design Engineer Trainee
- Employment type:Permanent
- Job family:Programme
2023 Professional Apprenticeship - Temporary Works Design Engineer Trainee (3436)
Professional Apprenticeship - Temporary Works Design Engineer Trainee
We're looking for bright and committed graduates who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
A Temporary Works Design Engineer Trainee is responsible for production of drawings, calculations, and specifications for a diverse range of permanent and temporary works schemes, as well as the provision of buildability, construction methodology and value engineering advice for live projects and tenders, as required by the business.
They work within the Temporary Works Design team in Manchester under the guidance of Senior Design Engineers.
Temporary Works Design Engineers are part of the Engineering Job Family and Technical Function, which is there to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across all projects and opportunities from pre-project, early engagement and work winning through to detailed delivery. All of our engineers are part of our Engineering Enterprise and are aligned with our overall strategy to maximise DFMA, Digital Engineering, and Early Engagement.
You will receive the appropriate on and off the job training to allow you to become an experienced Laing O'Rourke engineer.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities of a Temporary Works Design Engineer Trainee
- Work closely with the Design Engineers to provide engineered solutions, ensuring safety in design and good practice.
- Ensure company QA procedures are followed.
- Preparation of calculations, reports, drawings, and specifications for a diverse range of temporary works schemes.
- Preparing engineered solutions using all mainstream structural materials (i.e., steelwork, reinforced concrete, timber, etc.) to the Eurocodes and relevant industry guidance.
- Highly computer literate (MS Office including MS Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint, PDF Editors).
Laing O'Rourke collaborate with trusted and approved training providers (Universities) for our apprenticeship delivery. Successful candidates will be required to make an application to our preferred provider for the apprenticeship route you have chosen.
Applicants must have either:
- 3 A Levels must include Maths and a Science Subject
- BTEC Extended Diploma in a construction related subject (Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction and Built Environment etc)
The Laing O'Rourke Professional Apprenticeship Programme - what can you expect?
Our professional apprenticeship programme has been developed to ensure you are supported throughout every step of your journey, combining work-based experience with off-the-job training. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your professional development and formal qualification as a priority.
Our programme will provide a fully funded day or block release Level 4 (HNC) and/or Level 6 (degree) apprenticeship in your chosen vocation, while working as a full time Laing O'Rourke employee. It will also include a series of bespoke development modules, and technical training opportunities, strategically placed to support you at key stages of your apprenticeship journey. During the programme you will work across a range of projects, which will offer the breadth and variety to support your occupational competency and will contribute towards the achievement of your apprenticeship and professional accreditation.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- You must be eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit
- Entry grades will be listed within each job description and they will differ from role to role
- To qualify for this programme, you will need to have a minimum of three A-Levels/or equivalent
**The Professional Apprenticeship Programme will commence in September 2023**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Diversity and Inclusion
We value and care about difference at Laing O’Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
As part of the Disability Confident scheme, we would like to enable access to candidates with long term health conditions and disabilities through the ‘Offer an interview scheme’. This supports applicants that meet the essential criteria by offering an interview for the advertised position. Please let us know prior to interview what adjustments are required as well as discussing how we can support you in the workplace.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit:Diversity