2023 - Graduate Proposals Assistant
- Title:2023 - Graduate Proposals Assistant
- Employment type:Permanent
- Job family:Programme
2023 - Graduate Proposals Assistant (3199)
Job title: Graduate Proposals Assistant
We're looking for bright and committed graduates who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
All the projects we build must be secured through competition or negotiation. When we submit offers to our clients, effective writing is crucial to explain how we will meet their needs with certainty and provide benefits.
As part of our proposals team, you will be working within our Clients & Markets function, pursuing, and securing new projects across the UK. You will work as part of a proposals writing team, under the supervision of a senior proposal's manager, helping to create high quality bids that compel clients to choose Laing O'Rourke. You will be part of a high performing proposals team comprising proposals managers, writers, graphic designers, and document production specialists.
This is a diverse and varied role, requiring you to engage with subject matter experts across our business to develop responses, case studies, corporate CVs and evidence that showcase the power of our experience. As your experience grows, you will become the lead writer for the bids you work on, gaining experience across different sectors and building your knowledge and contact network across our business.
The diversity of projects and the energy of working in a team towards a shared deadline will keep this role fresh and exciting. You will be curious to learn from feedback and experience, adapting your style and trying new techniques to get our message across in proposals material. Longer term career progression exists within the proposals team, in proposals writing and management, or in the Clients & Markets function in bid management, as well as the overall Laing O'Rourke Group.
Key deliverables and accountabilities
- Plan, develop, write, review, and edit high quality proposal material that responds to client needs and articulates our win themes
- Understand client needs and scoring criteria and use this knowledge to shape bid responses
- Collaborate with bid team and functional subject matter experts through answer planning workshops to translate technical narratives into simple, client-focused responses
- Excite the client about our offer – make the reader think ‘wow, I didn't know they could do that!'
- Work with the team to create infographics and source images/film to convey our messages
- Actively participate in response review sessions; provide feedback to subject matter experts and bid teams to ensure their solutions meet the response requirements and marking criteria
- Ensure consistency using a house style and glossary
- Check and proofread final copy prior to submission
- Finalise responses within bid submission deadlines
- Learn from all submissions, identifying and sharing anything we did that enabled a high score or a win
Dartford Office - with opportunity to travel to our projects and bid offices as required.
We will consider applicants from a wide array of disciplines:
- Any Humanities subject degree
- Technical degree (Engineering subjects, Architecture, Design)
- Associated degrees with marketing modules
Accreditation will be with the Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP), pursuing the Foundation level exam after 12 months experience, achieving Practitioner level following 3 years in role
The Laing O'Rourke Graduate Development Programme - what can you expect?
Our graduate programme is designed to embrace and develop your capabilities. Most importantly, you will be encouraged to continue learning throughout your career. You will be stretched, challenged, and supported by a business that views your personal development and the achievement of professional accreditation as a priority.
Our programme will give you the practical experience, technical learning and professional development while being part of the some of the most exciting construction and infrastructure projects in the UK.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
- Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills
- A degree course with a clear route to professional accreditation
- Your degree classification should be 2:2 or higher
Crucially, we are looking for candidates for this specific role that:
- Demonstrate a concise, persuasive writing style and the use of evidence to strengthen points within an essay
- Have a keen interest in the built environment
- Have creative flair; Can communicate effectively using words, images, and film
- Are organised in approaching a deadline, planning, and keeping calm when the pressure builds
- Have excellent attention to detail
**The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2023**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity
Diversity and Inclusion
We value and care about difference at Laing O’Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
As part of the Disability Confident scheme, we would like to enable access to candidates with long term health conditions and disabilities through the ‘Offer an interview scheme’. This supports applicants that meet the essential criteria by offering an interview for the advertised position. Please let us know prior to interview what adjustments are required as well as discussing how we can support you in the workplace.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit:Diversity