2022 Graduate - Lifting Engineer
2022 Graduate - Lifting Engineer (1810)
Job Title: Graduate Lifting Engineer
We're looking for bright and committed graduates who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
This role is within the Select Plant Hire business. A graduate lifting engineer will be part of a proficient technical team who provide technical appraisals on proposed schemes which deliver safe and efficient lifting solutions. There will be a possibility to transition to other Select Plant Hire departments after 1 year to broaden knowledge of the business
Dartford – Head Office
Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering degree's will be considered
Depending on your degree subject: IMechE, ICE, IStructE
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities
- To appraise the requirements of the customer and to develop a cost-effective lifting solution. To ensure that the solution delivered is achievable and that accurate data and information is supplied.
- Work with the different Lifting Solutions departments to develop cost effective and productive tower crane proposals.
- Visit site as and when required, develop and review with the client the tower crane scheme proposals.
- Visit Select Plant Hire and customer offices as and when required to develop and review with the project team the tower crane scheme proposals.
- To understand the requirements of both current legislation and HSE guidance.
- Promote full adherence to Health and Safety requirements to ensure risks to employees and other contractors are removed and appropriate actions to redress any issues implemented. Promote a zero tolerance of unsafe practice through challenge where issues are identified.
- Discuss and issue to the tower crane Sales and Operations Managers any changes to the proposed schemes to allow any cost implications to be assessed.
- Produce 2D CAD drawings using Autodesk AutoCAD software to issue to the Client. Plan, elevation and climbing sequence drawings to be produced to establish and develop the crane and hoist schemes.
- Produce CAD drawings of tower crane tie arrangements to establish the tie details. Calculate the tower crane tie forces using structural analysis software.
- Provide guidance and technical solutions to the different Lifting Solutions departments on crane issues.
- Work with the Clients Temporary Works department to provide technical information to enable innovative and workable engineering solutions.
- Process tower crane foundation and base loads. Issue the loads to the Client to enable the crane base to be designed.
- Work closely with the tower crane manufacturer to gain approval for technical issues outside the general scope of operations set out in the technical manuals.
- Liaise with the tower crane manufacturer on technical issues as they arise.
- Work closely with the tower crane manufacture to develop new products and updates to the existing crane fleet.
- Transition to other Select Plant Hire departments such as modular accommodation, hoists and specialist lifting to gain a breadth of knowledge.
- Willingness to work additional hours outside the contracted hours as and when required.
- Willingness to stay away from home as and when required.
The Laing O'Rourke Graduate Development Programme - what can you expect?
Our graduate programme is designed to embrace and develop your capabilities. Most importantly, you will be encouraged to continue learning throughout your career. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your personal development and the achievement of professional accreditation as a priority.
Our programme will give you the practical experience, technical learning and professional development while being part of the some of the most exciting construction and infrastructure projects in the UK.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
- Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills
- A degree course with a clear route to professional accreditation
- Your degree classification should be 2:1 or higher
- Entry degrees will be listed within each of our graduate vacancies and differ from role to role
**The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2022**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
- Title:2022 Graduate - Lifting Engineer
- Employment type:Permanent
- Job family:Programme