2022 Graduate - Civil Engineer
2022 Graduate - Civil Engineer (1801)
Job Title: Graduate Civil Engineer – Site Engineer
We're looking for bright and committed graduates who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
A Site Engineer safely and effectively manages a set of tasks and is technically responsible for their outcome. Reporting directly to the Section Engineer, this role will potentially include the management and supervision of technicians or student engineers on site.
Our Graduates work within the site engineering team under the guidance of Section and Senior Engineers, alongside site supervisors and managers. You will work predominantly on site assisting in the technical management and delivery of major construction projects.
Site Engineers are part of the Engineering Job Family and Technical Function, which is there to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across all projects and opportunities from pre-project, early engagement and work winning through to detailed delivery. All of our engineers are part of our Engineering Enterprise and are aligned with our overall strategy to maximise DFMA, Digital Engineering, and Early Engagement.
You will receive the appropriate on and off the job training to allow you to become an experienced Laing O'Rourke engineer.
Dependent on Project Locations
A degree in a Civil Engineering discipline or other construction related degree.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities of a Site Engineer.
- Always applies the LOR procedures.
- Carries out dimensional control activities ensuring appropriate checks, this includes interrogation and transfer of setting out data from 2D CAD data and extracting setting out data from the Digital Engineering model directly into the setting out instruments.
- Interprets as-built surveys, verifying compliance with project requirements. Produce reports. Ensure surveys carried out in a timely manner.
- Extracts tolerance information from specifications. Applies appropriate setting out techniques to meet tolerances.
- Complies with project and company procedures on Workmanship, quality, inspection and testing
- Has a basic understanding of the properties, principles and capabilities of relevant materials, products, plant and systems.
- Understands the construction methods/practices that are in use on their project and can measure and record materials and resources.
- Understand and comply with Temporary works procedure and systems.
- Understands the role of the Temporary works co-ordinator (TWC)and Temporary Works supervisor (TWS) and undertake these roles where required.
- Knows that there is a Laing O'Rourke procedure for the management of lifting operations and understand their responsibilities within it.
- Communicates as appropriate with the project Design Manager.
- Manage and support Information and change control including using Electronic Data Management System to obtain construction information. Maintains engineer's hard copy drawings and specifications so that current information is always presented to them. Ensures information for own section of works is current and being used by construction team. Raises Technical Queries to resolve information discrepancies.
- Knows the specific requirements of the various management roles.
- Is aware of site logistics and understands the site logistics plan.
- Contributes to the operation of safe working procedures such as Confined Spaces, Hot Work permit etc.
- Is fully conversant with the LOR Environmental System (EMS). Contributes to the management of environmental issues.
- Ensures work is carried out in accordance with safe systems of work, method statements and task sheets. Produces method statements and task sheets. Delivers activity briefings.
The Laing O'Rourke Graduate Development Programme - what can you expect?
Our graduate programme is designed to embrace and develop your capabilities. Most importantly, you will be encouraged to continue learning throughout your career. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your personal development and the achievement of professional accreditation as a priority.
Our programme will give you the practical experience, technical learning and professional development while being part of the some of the most exciting construction and infrastructure projects in the UK.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
- Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills
- A degree course with a clear route to professional accreditation
- Your degree classification should be 2:1 or higher
- Entry degrees will be listed within each of our graduate vacancies and differ from role to role
**The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2022**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.